Sunday, December 30, 2012

Introduction Week: Camp 18 and an Elephant Gun?

Introduction Week: December 24, 2012 to December 30th, 2012:

Here we are, our last day in 2012! For me, it has been a crazy year! But it has also been a really good year! I am excited to see what 2013 has in store for me! 

Throughout 2013 you will see posts of new things I will be doing every week, I am calling it the "52 Weeks of 2013" and you can follow it, by clicking on the tab above.

To start my adventure off, I decided to do a few new things as a warm up. So here is the first post of the 52 New things of 2013 (even though this is in 2012!)

Wednesday December 26, 2012:

Today, I woke up early in the morning and headed out to meet up with a good friend of mine from High School. Hannah and I have always had a great relationship and we have made it a tradition for the past few years to meet up for breakfast to catch up on each others lives. This time I decided I wanted to try something a little different. Every time I head out to the Oregon Coast I pass by a restaurant called Camp 18, which is actually a very popular and well know restaurant of the area. Well, I have never, once stopped. So I made a little road trip out to Camp 18 to have some breakfast! Man was it GOOD! The entire place is made of logs, and rock from the local area. It has beautiful wood work, and an awesome fireplace! The whole place is decked out with logging and other antiques. It really was awesome! You can read more about Camp 18 and its history here: http://www.camp18restaurant.com/. I took some pretty cool pictures!




Friday December 28th, 2012:

Have you ever shot an elephant gun? I have! A Brno Model 602 Safari Grade 458 Lott. Did that go over your head? Don't worry, it went a little over mine too, and I love guns! Lets compare, if you have shot a shotgun before, times that by 10 and that is the recoil and force coming back on this gun! Yah, I like guns and I have shot my fair share of them! I go shooting about once a month or more and absolutely love it! But, shooting a gun of this caliber? Crazy! This gun is not even very common. But my brother works with a guy that has one, so he said he would LOVE for me to shoot it. Mainly because, I don't think many people want to! It is intimidating! It is big and has A LOT of RECOIL! Needless to say it left a little bruise!


Brno Model 602


This is the 458 Lott compared to a .223 used in an AR-15  (a much more common gun)

Here is me shooting the gun... and the result...


A pretty nasty bruise. The gun slipped when I fired and hit lower on my arm, instead of having my shoulder take the recoil. Needless to say, this is what happens when you don't hold a gun of that size correctly. But that's what learning is for. Plus, I wont be shooting that gun very often. It was a once in a life time thing. But hey, how many people can say they shot an elephant gun?



No comments:

Post a Comment