Sunday, March 3, 2013

Week 9 of 52: Guns and Silencers… Bond, James Bond.

One, or more new things per week for the 2013 year...
Week 9 of 52 (February 25th, 2013 to March 3rd, 2013): Guns and Silencers… Bond, James Bond.

The second amendment was adopted on December 15, 1791 and read…

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

                Notice how is says it shall not be infringed? This means that the government can not infringe on the rights of the people to own a firearm. I personally love firearms and own quite a few, I also own somethings that are not so common. One of these is a silencer for my Walther P22, which a person can own legally if they go through the proper channels. I went through almost a year long process to obtain one and finally got it about a week ago. This weekend I had the opportunity to go and shoot with it, I was pretty excited because I had never shot a gun with a silencer.

                Here is the difference in sound between 22LR Walther un-silenced vs a 22LR Walther that is silenced…



                Notice how the one is extremely quiet and the other is much louder? With a silencer I can shoot virtually undetected! So maybe you are asking yourself, why do I need a silencer? Well, besides the collector and recreational aspects… I can shoot the gun on private land (in areas where it is legal to shoot guns) without annoying neighbors with the noise. This is precisely why I bought it, to shoot on private lands without making noise when target shooting. Also, I no longer need to where hearing protection when shooting this gun. Makes it a lot more enjoyable!

                Here is a picture of the gun, with the Federal Tax Stamp that is required to purchase one.


                This weekend seemed to be filled with guns, I attended a 4-5 hour class that went over gun safety, training and laws for the state of Oregon, Utah and Arizona. Once I get my paperwork in, I will hold a license to carry a gun in 3 states; Oregon, Utah and Arizona which gives me legal reciprocity to carry a concealed gun in more than 30 states. This will be nice when I travel.

                This week has been a good week for shooting guns and trying out something new… a silencer. This was a lot of fun and can’t wait to go out shooting again! I think I also balanced out this weeks shooting with a proper dose of gun safety courses… always gotta be safe!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this write up Zach. I'm glad to see other responsible gun owners being proud to support the 2nd amendment and not afraid to show others that pride. I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous of your your silencer :) I'd like to start going through the process soon as well. My wife and I obtained our concealed weapons permits almost a year ago and we regularly exercise our right to carry. God Bless The USA!

    ReplyDelete