Sunday, January 20, 2013

Week 3 of 52: Secret Menus, Elevators, American Flag Underwear and Chocolate.

One, or more new things per week for the 2013 year...
Week 3 of 52 (January 14th, 2013 to January 20th, 2013):  Secret Menus, Elevators, American Flag Underwear and Chocolate.



                Have you ever tried the secret menu at Jamba Juice? They have smoothies with names like “Berry Depressing”, “Hello Jesus”, “Tropical Awakening” and “Lemonade Lightnin’” to name just a few. I decided while waiting to pick up my brother at the airport I would see if this “secret menu” was actually known. I really didn’t know what to pick, but decided to go with “Peanut Butter and Jelly”. Let me tell you, it might sound gross to some people… but essentially it tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich blended into a smoothie. My reaction was a little different from most people, I enjoyed it. While others find the idea of a blended up peanut butter and jelly sandwich as a little gross. (which by the way is basically just a strawberry smoothie with Peanut Butter added), it really isn’t as disgusting as it sounds.


                Oh, and while I was waiting for my brother, I saw the guy pictured below. Haha welcome to Portland! Nothing like a guy wearing American Flag underwear and nothing else at the Airport, yep keep Portland weird alright! How often to you get to see that? I can check that off my bucket list! Haha.


                So my week could not be complete with just an order of blended up Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich and seeing some guy prance around the airport wearing nothing more than just an American flag! Oh no, my week is just getting started!

                One thing that I find interesting about all my new adventures is that I always do things that I can’t believe I have never done before. For example, I was out on Friday night with some friends who decided, while riding in an elevator to jump right as the elevator goes down (sorta defying gravity for a second). Who has never jumped in an elevator? Isn’t that something that everyone has done, at least once in their life? Well, apparently I didn’t get the memo as a kid or, I was one lame kid… because I have never done that! Well, the good news is that I finally did it, and at a really cool location! We went to the Portland Oregon Zoo, where you can find an elevator that drops 28 stories in 25 seconds! This elevator only has two stops ground level and the enterance to the tunnel, which happens to be the deepest transit center in North America and one of the deepest in the world at 260+ feet below the surface of the earth!


                You would think that after seeing a guy in America flag underwear, drinking a liquefied peanut butter and jelly sandwich and jumping in an elevator that drops 260 feet in 25 seconds (which now seems like a stupid idea) I would have called it a week… but oh no, I had to end it all with LOTS of Chocolate!



Yesterday, I went to Chocolate Fest! Which started as a Portland tradition in 2006, when the World Forestry Cener (a non-profit organization) decided to create a Fundraiser  “…that would not only expose visitors to wonderful chocolate products, but educate about the tropical cacao tree and how chocolate is made from bean to bar…(they) gathered a few local vendors and held the event… in Portland’s Washington Park.  That first year a little over 1,000 people came to sample and savor some of the best chocolate Portland had to offer. Now seven years later, ChocolateFest has grown into a Northwest tradition. With over 8,200 people attending in 2010…” (from their website: http://chocolatefest.org/about-contact/) This year easily topped 8,000 people as I could barely move!



I have to admit that the best Chocolate there, hands down was the Hand Crafted Milk Chocolate with Aztec Spices! It was heavenily. I don’t know how to describe it, except that a very small piece can make your mouth really happy. It is like an explosion of flavor that stays with you for a few minutes. The spices were strong, but in a sweet way. It would definitely wake you up in the morning and I am not suggesting that chocolate should be for breakfast… wait a minute… who am I trying to kid? That sounds like an awesome idea! But at $8 a bar, it is something that has to be truly savored! It hurt my wallet a little, but I think it is totally worth it!


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment